The first human case of the deadly hantavirus known as Sin Nombre virus has been reported by Michigan officials.
On Monday, health authorities in Michigan verified the first human case of the Sin Nombre hantavirus in the state.

Hantavirus is distributed by rodents and can be contracted by breathing aerosolized virus from the urine, feces, or saliva of rodents. As a result, persons infected with the virus may develop hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a potentially lethal condition.

Researchers felt that transmission between people was improbable when the hantavirus was first found in 1993 during a hantavirus outbreak in the four corner states.

According to the CDC, anyone infected with hantavirus should expect to experience tiredness, fever, and muscular pains, especially in major muscle groups. Headaches, dizziness, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach discomfort are common side effects.

Nombre virus

Nombre virus


The unknown lady got infected with the virus while cleaning a home that had been empty for two years, according to Susan Ringler-Cerniglia, a spokesperson for the Washtenaw County Health Department.

She told USA Today, "We assume the individual was exposed while cleaning out the residence." “During cleaning, feces from the infestation presumably got airborne and was ingested by the individual.”

The lady is being treated for hantavirus pulmonary syndrome but has been discharged from the hospital and is healing at home.

Hantavirus has an exceptionally high death rate, with 36 percent of those infected dying as a result of the virus. According to the CDC, the high fatality rate is due to people failing to recognize their symptoms early enough.

To avoid contracting any kind of hantavirus, health experts advise Americans to stay away from areas where rodent feces can be found. If somebody needs to go into those regions, they should wear rubber gloves and a mask to avoid inhaling any virus particles that have been aerosolized.


You may also like

Facebook Conversations

Disqus Conversations